Developing and implementing robust and cost efficient recovery technologies
CloseWEEE aims to close the loop by:
- developing and implementing robust and cost efficient recovery technologies,
- giving recycled materials a new life in added-value applications and
- providing efficient tools for the localisation and separation of hazardous and valuable materials.
The main goal of Close WEEE is therefore to increase the range and yields of recovered materials from WEEE streams. The research activities intend to:
- increase the recovery yield of PC-ABS and ABS to 80% of their content in the WEEE plastic input;
- increase the application of recycled PC-ABS and ABS in new EEE enclosures by defining and production suitable products with a minimum share of 20% recycled polymer;
- raise recovery yields of BFR and Sb2O3 to 80% of their content in the WEEE plastic input;
- minimize levels of hazardous compounds in any product fraction to levels, which meet the requirements specified by regulation and standards of manufacturing companies safely.
- Reduce the losses of Co and graphite during treatment of waster Lo-ion-batteries by at lease 50%.
In order to achieve these central technological R&D objectives there will be substantial work on sound economic and environmental evaluation of the processes as well as on dissemination and exploitation of these technologies. This results in the following detailed list of scientific and technological objectives:
- High efficient on-line identification and separation of Halogen and Non-Halogen polymer fractions and plastics types from WEEE streams.
- Efficient Recovery of high quality segregated target polymer fractions (PC-ABS and ABS).
- Efficient Recovery of target additives and critical minerals from Flame retarded plastic fraction (Sb2O3 and BFR fraction).
- Efficient recovery of critical metals and minerals such as Cu, Co, Li and Graphite from EOL Li-Ion batteries.
- Appropriate & eco-friendly upgrading of recovered materials to second-life applications.
- To improve the flow information to recyclers, by means of a Recycler Information Centre, that will constitute a centralized source for manual disassembly procedures specific to each product model.
- Validation of CloseWeee products performance in added-value applications and CloseWeee technologies and processes.
- Increasing range and yields of recovered materials from WEEE streams, increasing the energy efficiency of recycling processes, reduced environmental footprint measured by qualitative and quantitative indicators.
- Economic and Environmental Validation of the products and processes developed in CloseWeee.
- Establishment of Ecodesign criteria for new EEE associated to target applications and establishment of support actions between labeling and green procurement initiatives and CloseWeee.
- Development and deployment of an effective dissemination plan of the CloseWeee results toward relevant stakeholders and interested parties and development of an exploitation plan for preparing the market take-up and achieve the full exploitation of the project relevant results.